Here are a few tips to help you participate in keeping Zion “green” and sustainable:
During Your Visit
- During peak season, plan on using the national park’s shuttle system within Zion and into the partnering community of Springdale .
- Don’t forget to enjoy the walking tours! And walk whenever sensible.
- Remember when your car is idling you are wasting energy. Turn your engine off when in line.
- Don't allow anything to be thrown out of your car windows—ever.
- Participate in local efforts to recycle. Keep an eye out for the conveniently placed bins inside Zion and in the surrounding community.
- When faced with informational literature take only the brochures or maps needed. Or just access material online prior to arriving.
- Why not pick up stray litter you see? Your efforts can make up for less considerate visitors.
- Plan to buy souvenirs in local shops to support the local economy.
- While on your trip try to learn about new waste saving procedures and see what you could implement at home and at work.
While camping or backpacking
- Adapted from the principles of Leave No Trace.
- Take only photos. Leave only footsteps; sage advice for any outdoor activity.
- Campfires are permitted only in designated fire rings. Campfires are not permitted in the backcountry. If you plan on having a campfire, bring your own wood. Firewood gathering is not permitted in the National Park.
- Use existing campground areas.
- Food and waste should be stored in a manner that does not attract wildlife. Feeding wildlife is not only dangerous but it is illegal.
- Make sure to dispose of any waste properly. There are garbage and recycling bins placed throughout the park.
- Keep water areas clean by not putting human waste, soap, food, or trash in water sources. Bring bio-degradable products (soap, dish soap, toothpaste, etc.) to cut down on the harmful effects.
- Stay on trails. Especially avoid areas that are roped off.
- Be considerate of other visitors. Your activities should not affect the enjoyment of others’ activities while here in the park.
When staying in a hotel
- Let the hotel know that it’s not necessary to change your sheets and towels every day
- When you leave your hotel room, turn off the AC/heat, lights, TV and radio. Close the drapes.
- Leave little bottles of amenities in the guestroom if unopened.
- Keep bar soap wrappers and take used bars of soap home.
- Patronize hotels, airlines, tour operators who support "greening" programs.
- Do additional research about green travel and for more things you can do to reduce, reuse and recycle on your visit.