History & Culture

First Visitor Center
First Visitor Center

NPS Photo

The Wind Cave area has been protected since 1903, when it became our eighth national park. Regarded as sacred by American Indians, cave exploration did not begin until 1881, when the entrance was noticed by two brothers, Jesse and Tom Bingham. They heard a loud whistling noise, which led them to a small hole in the ground, the cave's only natural opening.


Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

26611 US Highway 385
Hot Springs, SD 57747


(605) 745-4600
Park information

Contact Us