Special Use Permits

Two snapshots, one with scenic view and the other with a welcome to Valles Caldera message.
Welcome to Valles Caldera National Preserve
Certain types of activities require a special use permit. These include many types of organized gatherings, distribution of printed material and other public expressions of opinion, and other activities that are controlled or prohibited. See the following definitions and examples to determine if your use might be included:

A special park use is defined as a short-term activity that takes place in a preserve area, and that:
  1. provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization rather than the public at large;
  2. requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the National Park Service (NPS) in order to protect preserve resources and the public interest;
  3. is not prohibited by law or regulation;
  4. is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the NPS; and is not managed under a concession contract, a recreation activity for which the NPS charges a fee, or a lease.
Examples of a First-Amendment Activity include: a church service, political event, or Freedom of Speech act.

At this time, Valles Caldera is not permitting weddings. We are currently developing our infrastructure and compliance that must be completed first.

For more information regarding Special Use Permits or to determine if your activity requires one, please call 575-829-4100, option #4 or email us (please put ATTN: Special Use Permits in the subject line).

Applications for permits should be submitted well in advance, preferably 2-3 months before event, for consideration and processing.

Last updated: January 10, 2018

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 359
Jemez Springs , NM 87025


575 829-4100 x3

Contact Us


Stay Connected