Horses have been part of the Valles Caldera landscape for over 100 years.
To recreate inside the preserve, owners/riders must have an equestrian permit issued by the preserve. An electronic annual equestrian special use permit will be available beginning May 1st, 2021 and will be valid through October 31, 2021.
How To Get A Permit:
1. Click on the link and DOWNLOAD the Annual Equestrian Special Use Permit (SUP). You must DOWNLOAD it to your computer to be able to fill in your information and save it. You CANNOT fill it out online.Your information will not save.
2. You will need Adobe Reader to download and fill out this form online. You can also print and fill it out the good old-fashioned way and mail the application to the preserve.
3. Electronically fill in the required information.
4. Read and understand the "Rules and Regulations." Signing the application is your legal agreement to abide by the rules.
5. Don't forget to Electronically sign the application.
6. Save a copy on your computer.
7. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and attach the file that you just saved.
8. Allow up to 7-14 business days for preserve staff to process your request.
9. When you receive a return confirmation e-mail, there will be two attachments containing your permit, and a vehicle dash permit, plus a wallet permit card.
10. Print the vehicle dash permit and the wallet permit card. Sign the wallet permit card and carry it with you while you’re riding. The vehicle dash permit is to stay on your dash while you are riding.
For questions and concerns, please contact us at VALL_Info@nps.gov or 575-829-4100 ext 3.
Riders will have to bring their own horses as the preserve does not have an equestrian concessionaire in operation. Conducting commercial activities requires a Commercial Use Authorization.
Rules of the Trail
Last updated: September 25, 2021