What kinds of events require a permit?
Some examples of events that require a permit:
- Non-competitive sporting events (including charitable events)
- Ceremonies (including weddings and memorials)
- Spreading of ashes
- Picnics and reunions
- Team building exercises (corporate events)
- Organized hikes, runs or trail rides with more than 20 participants expected
- Any after-hours use (the park is open from 7:00 am until dark - 30 minutes after sunset)
- Any other similar events
- There is a meaningful association between the park area and the event, and
- The event will contribute to visitor understanding of the significance of the park area.
The application fee for special events is $75.00, this fee is non-refundable. There may be additional costs depending on the size and scope of your request. The additional fees will be calculated after your application is reviewed and you will be contacted if there will be any additional costs.
Special Case: Military Ceremonies
The park does require a permit for military reenlistment, retirement or change of command ceremonies but as a function of another federal agency the fees for these events are waived and do not have to be submitted with your application.
Special Case: Races, Walks and Fundraisers
The areas of the park located South of the Schuylkill River are closed to organized recreational activities such as races, "a-thons", fundraisers, athletic or sporting events, shows or exhibitions, with the exception of one park sponsored race known as the Revolutionary Run. The South side includes areas such as the visitor center, National Memorial Arch and paved Joseph Plumb Martin trail.
The park has no pre-planned routes for sporting events. Any proposal to hold an event on the North side of the park must include a designation of the route and trails that are being requested to use.
Event plans for the North side of the park in the Betzwood area must include a plan for offsite parking. Due to overwhelming use of the area by park visitors and recreational users accessing the Schuylkill River Trail parking for events is not permitted in the Betzwood area on Saturdays and Sundays.
The National Park Service will not permit the public staging of special events that are conducted primarily for the material or financial benefit of the organizers or participants.