Food for Purchase
The Encampment Store
Located in the Visitor Center, stop in for snacks and refreshments, coffee, candy, granola bars, and more.
The Chapel Cabin Shop
Located behind the Washington Memorial Chapel, open daily 10am to 5pm. The Cabin Shop specializes in unique gifts, gift baskets, souvenirs, colonial art, fine pewter, and homemade baked goods. For the kids - colonial toys, books and other souvenirs especially for them.
There are three designated picnic areas within Valley Forge National Historical Park. All designated picnic areas provide picnic tables, but access to trash/recycling receptacles and restrooms may vary according to the time of year. Find more detailed information about each picnic area below.
Picnic Area General Rules and Regulations
Additional information about picnicking in the park and other park laws and policies may be found in the Superintendent's Compendium.
Betzwood Picnic Area
Located on the north side of Valley Forge National Historical Park, the Betzwood Picnic Area is the only picnic area that provides grills. From the Betzwood area, visitors have access to the River Trail, Regional Schuylkill River Trail, and boat launch to the Schuylkill River.
- Exit the park at the intersection of Route 23 and Gulph Road, go straight through two traffic lights.
- Take the exit on the right for 422 West
- Merge onto 422 West and take the first exit for Trooper Road South/ Route 363
- On the exit ramp, stay in the left most lane for Trooper Road South
- Turn left at the top of the ramp and continue to the left down the hill to the dead end.
- Turn right into the Betzwood Picnic Area
GPS Coordinates: 40.10959N -75.42143W
Located off of Route 23, Varnum's picnic area sits between the Visitor Center at Valley Forge and Washington's Headquarters, and is also within short walking distance to the von Steuben Statue, the Grand Parade trail, and Varnum's Quarters (tour stop 8 on the Encampment Tour route.)
Open Daily - March through October
Closed mid-week, Open on Weekends - November
Closed - December through February
- Exit the park at the intersection of Route 23 and Gulph Road. Make a left at the light onto Route 23 West/ Valley Forge Road.
Located on South Outer Line Drive, along The Encampment Tour route, and in between the National Memorial Arch and the General Anthony Wayne Statue (tour stops 3 and 4 respectively). These picnic grounds open up to a large mown field with the National Memorial Arch in the background.
- Keep right at the fork and follow North Outer Line Drive along The Encampment Tour route.
There are no overnight accomodations or campgrounds at Valley Forge National Historical Park, but there are many lodging options in the communities surrounding the park.
The Valley Forge Tourism and Convention Board is available to assist visitors with lodging, dining, and other guest services in the Montgomery County area. Contact a Visitor Service Liaison at the park, call 610-768-0281.
Last updated: April 18, 2022