Many changes were made to the main house and kitchen house over the years, especially once the last private family purchased the island in 1869.
The main house had the central rooms on either side of the house added, the windows enlarged, the staircase moved inside, several fireplaces removed, and the covered walkway constructed. The result was a house with less ventilation for the summer and little heat in the winter.
These changes are reflected in the three photographs above.
Return to Closures.
Learn more about Kingsley Plantation.
Last updated: April 14, 2015