Choosing a Campground
Look over a map to see which unit(s) of the park you plan to visit and where you're likely to camp. Juniper Campground is located in the park's North Unit, 15 miles south of Watford City. Cottonwood Campground is located 5 miles north of Medora in the park's South Unit. Camping with horses is limited to the Roundup Group Horse Camp in the South Unit, available by reservation only.
First Come, First Served
All the standard campsites in Juniper Campground (North Unit) and half the standard sites in Cottonwood Campground (South Unit) are offered on a first come, first served basis.
The group site and half the standard campsites in Cottonwood Campground, the Juniper Campground group site, and Roundup Group Horse Camp are available by reservation, May through September only.
To make reservations, go to recreation.gov or call 1-877-444-6777. (Theodore Roosevelt National Park cannot make reservations.) Reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance and no less than 5 days before arrival.
General Information, Cottonwood and Juniper Campground
- open year-round (limited amenities and reduced rates in winter)
- restrooms with flush toilets (summer only) and pit toilets (year-round)
- no shower facilities
- potable water and RV tank fill stations
- dump station (Juniper Campground only)
- no electric or sewer hookups
- sites of various configurations, many large enough to accommodate trailers and large RVs
- Raised grills for cooking and campfires (no firewood sold in the park, do not bring firewood from locations outside North Dakota)
- Pets are permitted but should never be left unattended and must be maintained on a leash.