Harpers Ferry, IA
The mounds preserved here are considered sacred by many Americans, especially the Monument's 20 culturally associated American Indian tribes. A visit offers opportunities to contemplate the meanings of the mounds and the people who built them. The 200 plus American Indian mounds are located in one of the most picturesque sections of the Upper Mississippi River Valley.
National Historic Site
West Branch, IA
Born in a two-room cottage, Herbert Hoover could have been any small town boy. Orphaned at age nine, he left West Branch, never to live here again. The landscape and buildings of the early years remain, however, to tell how family, faith, education, and hard work opened a world of opportunity— even the presidency of the United States— to a child of simple beginnings.
National Historic Trail
Eleven States: ID,IL,IA,KS,MO,MT,NE,ND,OR,SD,WA
Between May 1804 and September 1806, 31 men, one woman, and a baby traveled from the plains of the Midwest to the shores of the Pacific Ocean. They called themselves the Corps of Discovery. In their search for a water route to the Pacific Ocean, they opened a window into the west for the young United States. Read the Lewis and Clark Pups blog, the Newfie News!
National Historic Trail
Various States IL,IA,NE,UT,WY
Explore the Mormon Pioneer National Historic Trail across five states to see the 1,300-mile route traveled by Mormons who fled Nauvoo, Illinois, to the Great Salt Lake Valley in 1846-1847.
By The Numbers
- 2 National Parks
- 222,810 Visitors to National Parks
- $12,400,000 Economic Benefit from National Park Tourism »
- $1,234,216,005 of Rehabilitation Projects Stimulated by Tax Incentives (since 1995) »
- $57,416,582 of Land & Water Conservation Fund Appropriated for Projects (since 1965) »
- $30,556,847 in Historic Preservation Grants (since 1969) »
- 92 Certified Local Governments »
- 70 Community Conservation & Recreation Projects (since 1987) »
- 906 Acres Transferred by Federal Lands to Parks for Local Parks and Recreation (since 1948) »
- 2,581 Hours Donated by Volunteers »
- 1 National Heritage Area »
- 2 National Trails Managed by NPS »
- 2,365 National Register of Historic Places Listings »
- 26 National Historic Landmarks »
- 7 National Natural Landmarks »
- 485 Places Recorded by Heritage Documentation Programs »
- 179,008 Objects in National Park Museum Collections »
- 78 Archeological Sites in National Parks »
- 3 Teaching with Historic Places Lesson Plans »
- 8 Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itineraries »
- Download the summary »
These numbers are just a sample of the National Park Service's work. Figures are for the fiscal year that ended 9/30/2017.