Harpers Ferry, IA
The mounds preserved here are considered sacred by many Americans, especially the Monument's 20 culturally associated American Indian tribes. A visit offers opportunities to contemplate the meanings of the mounds and the people who built them. The 200 plus American Indian mounds are located in one of the most picturesque sections of the Upper Mississippi River Valley.
National Historic Site
West Branch, IA
Orphaned at age nine, Herbert Hoover left West Branch never to live here again. In later years, he returned to his humble birthplace to celebrate his long career of public service. A memorial landscape remains to tell his story: how community, hard work, honesty, and usefulness to others opened a world of opportunity— and the presidency of the United States— to a child of simple beginnings.
National Historic Trail
Sixteen States: IA,ID,IL,IN,KS,KY,MO,MT,NE,ND,OH,OR,PA,SD,WA,WV
The Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail is approximately 4,900 miles long, extending from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to the mouth of the Columbia River, near present day Astoria, Oregon. It follows the historic outbound and inbound routes of the Lewis and Clark Expedition as well as the preparatory section from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Wood River, Illinois.
National Historic Trail
Various States IL,IA,NE,UT,WY
Explore the Mormon Pioneer National Historic Trail across five states to see the 1,300-mile route traveled by Mormons who fled Nauvoo, Illinois, to the Great Salt Lake Valley in 1846-1847.
By The Numbers
- 2 National Parks
- 191,269 Visitors to National Parks
- $15,300,000 Economic Benefit from National Park Tourism »
- $1,515,197,225 of Rehabilitation Projects Stimulated by Tax Incentives (since 1995) »
- $59,013,985 of Land & Water Conservation Fund Appropriated for Projects (since 1965) »
- 90 Certified Local Governments »
- 85 Community Conservation & Recreation Projects (since 1987) »
- 906 Acres Transferred by Federal Lands to Parks for Local Parks and Recreation (since 1948) »
- 1,490 Hours Donated by Volunteers »
- 1 National Heritage Area »
- 2 National Trails Administered by NPS »
- 2,394 National Register of Historic Places Listings »
- 26 National Historic Landmarks »
- 7 National Natural Landmarks »
- 487 Places Recorded by Heritage Documentation Programs »
- 180,522 Objects in National Park Museum Collections »
- 78 Archeological Sites in National Parks »
- 2 Teaching with Historic Places Lesson Plans »
- 9 Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itineraries »
- Print the summary »
These numbers are just a sample of the National Park Service's work. Figures are for the fiscal year that ended 9/30/2019.