How to Apply
Submissions to apply for the program must be postmarked or delivered to the park no later than April 15th (the submission are due on April 15 every year). The selections will be made and all applicants notified by email of the outcome no later than mid June.
A complete submission includes the following items, contained in a single envelope or padded mailer:
1. Your resume of no more than two pages (4 copies). Please include an email address.
2. An appropriate sample of your recent work:
- For visual artists eight images on a CD or DVD. Please use the file name to label the images or provide a separate list with title, medium, and size of finished work.
- For composers, a cassette, CD or DVD recording.
- For writers and journalists, 4 copies of a brief (6-page maximum) manuscript excerpt, short story, essay, poem, or other work.
3. A statement of what you hope to gain from a residency at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and a description of how you will engage the public through your program and interact with visitors while at work in the field (4 copies). Please make sure your name is on your statement.
PLEASE NOTE - We will not be able to review submissions that don't include four copies of all documents.
No submissions sent to the park will be returned to the artist.
Please send your submission to
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
9922 Front Street
Empire, MI 49630
For more information contact Susan Sanders:
I wonder whether art has a higher function than to make me feel, appreciate, and enjoy natural objects for their art value?" - Bernard Berenson
"The work of art is a part of nature seen through a temperament." - Andre Gide