TRAIL SAFE! is a unique safety training program designed specifically for National Park Service (NPS) Trail Volunteers, but is useful to everyone! It's based upon NPS Operational Leadership Training, where the Human Factor of safety is explored. Trail Safe! captures the core learning objectives of the 16 hour Operational Leadership course while allowing volunteers to learn from their own homes on-line.
The Trail Safe! series includes eight video lessons, each ranging in length from 18 to 40 minutes long. Viewing the entire eight lesson series will take approximately three hours. Watch them over the course of multiple days, or "binge watch" the entire series in three hours–it's up to you–but please watch them in numeric order from Lesson 1 through Lesson 8.
After viewing the lessons, follow the instructions below to register your participation. Please be sure to send your training verification emails to the address listed below, not to Ice Age National Scenic Trail.
Register yourself (and others if you are watching as a group) to receive credit for participation. When you have viewed and registered for all eight individual lessons, each participant will receive a Trail Safe! pin and a SPE/GAR card in the mail for use in the field. Not sure what a SPE/GAR card is? You will after viewing the Trail Safe! series! Thank you for helping to make Sleeping Bear Dunes one of the safest work environments for NPS Trail Volunteers like yourself.
Ready to start?
Click on this link to access all Trail Safe! videos:https://www.nps.gov/iatr/trail-safe.htm
Select which lesson you want to watch, click the "play" arrow and in just a few moments your Trail Safe! lesson will play automatically. To turn Closed Captioning on or off, click the CC button on the video.
If you require Audio Descriptive versions of Trail Safe!, the link to those videos is available on the Ice Age Trail site as well.
Record your participation
Thank you for your participation in the Trail Safe! video training series.In order to receive credit for your participation, please fill in your answers to the following questions (copy and paste the following template questions in your return email message):
- Which video lesson did you just complete viewing (i.e. : #1, #2, #3…)?
- Name of the Park or Trail where you volunteer (i.e.: Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore or specify if other).
- Specific Trail Club, Chapter, or Sub-Category (i.e.: Adopt a Trail).
- Your name and full mailing address, so we may send your course completion materials to you (i.e.: Jane Smith, 123 Maple Street, Anywhere, USA 12345).
- Names and addresses of others if you are viewing this lesson in a group setting.
- Optional: Please let us know what you found most useful about this lesson.
- Optional: Please let us know any comments or suggestions you have about this lesson.
Please email your responses to the above questions to: email@example.com. Please title your email: Trail Safe Training Reply.
Thank you, and enjoy the rest of the video series. Upon registering your completion for the entire eight lesson series, you'll receive your Trail Safe! pin …or certificate, and risk assessment card via mail.