Wilderness Stock Use

Visit our keyboard shortcuts docs for details
6 minutes, 50 seconds

Watch this film for a demonstration of best practices for minimum-impact wilderness travel with pack stock. It includes tips for feed, grooming, and choosing a campsite location.


Planning Your Stock-Supported Wilderness Trip

  1. Read the Parks Stock Users Guide.

  2. Review the Sequoia Stock Use Grazing Map or the Kings Canyon Stock Use Grazing Map, as needed.

  3. Check the Meadow Opening and Closing Updates for current meadow information.

  4. Familiarize yourself with the Minimum Impact Restrictions.

  5. Review site-specific regulations and restrictions listed by individual meadows within their respective river drainages.

  6. Obtain a wilderness permit for overnight camping.


Velvet Grass in Kern River Canyon

Velvet grass, an invasive species, was discovered along the floor of the Kern River Canyon in 2006. To prevent its spread, temporary grazing restrictions are in place for Kern Ranger Station Pastures, Lower Funston Meadow, and Upper Funston Meadow.


Contact the Wilderness Office

Phone: (559) 565-3766
Fax: (559) 565-4239
E-mail: SEKI Wilderness Office

Contact the Commercial Services Office

Phone: (559) 565-4235
Fax: (559) 565-3730 (Attn: Commercial Services)
E-mail: Commercial Services

Last updated: June 18, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

47050 Generals Highway
Three Rivers, CA 93271


559 565-3341

Contact Us