Visiting the Park
Park buildings are closed from November 1 until Memorial Day weenend including the visitor center, galleries, and historic house. The grounds are open yearround during daylight hours. Use caustion as walkways and trails are not maintained for public use during this period and may be icy and snow covered.
Dogs are permitted on park grounds, but must be kept on a leash at all time. This includes when hiking the nature trails. We ask that dog owners be respectful of the park and remove dog waste. Bags for that purpose are located in a dispenser near the kiosk in the main parking lot
Large RVs must park in the overflow parking lot located .1 miles before the entrance to the main parking lot. RVs towing vehicles should turn into this lot as there is no easy turn-around further up the road.
America the Beautiful or National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Passes are available for purchase between Memorial Day weekend and October 31. Purchases are by credit card only.
To learn more, visit Fees & Passes.
There are no food services or vending machines at the park. The closest full-service restaurants are located in Windsor, VT (2 miles). A water bottle fill up station is available in the visitor center and behind the Little Studio.
The park is a beautiful place to picnic with friends or family. There are picnic tables near the parking areas and visitor center during summer months and benches are located throughout the park. Please be considerate of other visitors and not spread out large picnics in highly trafficed areas including the West Porch.
Most weddings on park grounds require a Special Use Permit. Learn about the process and limitations at Permits & Reservations.
About the Saint-Gaudens Family
Saint-Gaudens stated that his name is pronounced: “‘Gaud’ as in ‘gaudy’, ‘ens’ as in ‘enslave.’”
Augustus was born on March 1, 1848, at 35 Charlemont St. in Dublin, Ireland. He came to the United States at the age of six months on the ship Desdemona.
Augustus Saint-Gaudens named the New Hampshire estate after his father's birthplace: the village of Aspet in the Pyrenees of southern France. Aspet, France is located next to the town of Saint-Gaudens, from which the family name derived.
There are three Louis’ in the Saint-Gaudens family. The first with that name was the first child of Bernard and Mary McGuiness Saint Gaudens, Augustus’ parents, who died in early childhood before Augustus was born in 1848. The second Louis, was Augustus’ younger brother, born in 1854, who also became a sculptor. The third Louis, nicknamed “Novy”, was Augustus’ son with his model and later, mistress, Davida Clark.
Two. He had one son, Homer, born in 1880, with his wife, Augusta. He also had a son, Louis (nicknamed “Novy”) born in 1889, to his mistress, Davida Clark.
Homer became a writer, art critic, theatrical engineer and Director of Carnegie Institute in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He had three children, Augustus II, Harold and Carlota. Homer died in 1958.
Louis moved to California, where he worked in a hospital, married and had three sons. He died in 1958.
Augusta Homer Saint-Gaudens (1848-1926) was a self-trained artist, co-founder of the Saint-Gaudens Memorial, and wife of sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens. Many close friends and family called her "Gussy."
Learn more about Augusta Saint-Gaudens.
Augusta Homer Saint-Gaudens was a third cousin to painter, Winslow Homer.
Because of his declining health during the last year of Augustus’ life, there was no communication with Davida. After Saint Gaudens died in 1907, Davida moved from Darien, Connecticut, to Arlington Heights, New Jersey. She lived there for three years before also succumbing to cancer in 1910 at the age of 48.
Augustus Saint-Gaudens died on August 3, 1907 from the effects of colon cancer and was cremated. His ashes are interred here on the grounds at the Temple. Also interred at the Temple are the ashes of his wife, Augusta, brother Louis, son Homer, daughter-in-law Carlota, and nephew Harold.
Last updated: April 12, 2023