How to have a safe hike in Rock Creek Park
1. Bring and use a map or guide. Don't rely on trail signs, as there are not many out there.
2. Stay hydrated—bring and drink water.
3. Stay on the trail to avoid poison ivy, snakes, and ticks.
4. Keep your dog leashed at all times to protect both your pet and park wildlife. Many hikers and park users are afraid of dogs; please be respectful of them.
5. Dress appropriately. Wear sturdy shoes, dress in layers and anticipate cold and wet weather.
Create Your Own Hike!
There are two primary trails that run north-south in Rock Creek Park. They are the Western Ridge Trail (green on the park map) and the Valley Trail (orange on the park map). Think of them as the sides of a ladder.
Last updated: January 7, 2021