Create Your Own Hike!
There are two primary trails that run North-South in Rock Creek Park. They are the Western Ridge Trail (green on the Park Map) and the Valley Trail (pink on the Park Map). Think of them as the rails of a ladder.
How to have a safe hike in Rock Creek Park
1. Bring and use a map or guide (don't rely on trail signs, as there are not many out there).
2. Stay hydrated—bring and drink water (water bottles and a filling station are available at the Nature Center).
3. Stay on the trail to avoid poison ivy and ticks.
4. Keep your dog leashed at all times to protect both your pet and park wildlife. Also many hikers and park users are afraid of dogs;please be respectful of them.
5. Dress appropriately (wear sturdy shoes, dress in layers and anticipate cold and wet weather).
Last updated: October 16, 2020