The Visitor Services Volunteer helps to strengthen the connection with and foster stewardship of Point Reyes National Seashore among park visitors by staffing the visitor center desks at the Bear Valley Visitor Center and Lighthouse Visitor Center and by roving throughout the park.
- Staffs, alongside park rangers, cooperating association staff, and volunteers, the visitor center desk at the Bear Valley Visitor Center and/or Lighthouse Visitor Center
- Addresses visitor needs and facilitates positive visitor experiences by 1) orienting visitors to Point Reyes National Seashore and the surrounding area; 2) assisting visitors in identifying appropriate recreational opportunities; 3) providing information about the park and the surrounding area; and 4) conveying the significance of the park's natural, historical, and cultural resources
- Responds to and answers visitor questions in-person and over the phone
- Provides services to visitors in an efficient and professional manner
- Roves park areas to contact visitors
- Keeps current on park conditions, closures, issues, etc.
- Represents the National Park Service by wearing a volunteer uniform and interacting with visitors in a friendly, courteous, tactful, and helpful manner
- Performs retail sales
Volunteers must have an interest and desire to serve others, possess very good listening and oral communication skills, and have the abilities to interact with a variety of people, handle stressful situations, and work as part of a team as well as independently.
Customer service and/or retail sales experience, public speaking experience, knowledge of the park and area, and teaching and hiking experience are helpful.
Schedule and Time Commitment
The Visitor Services program is available from April through September. Volunteers are expected to volunteer a minimum of 4 hours per week or 16 hours per month.
The Visitor Services Volunteer will train via independent study and at one instructor-led session.
Benefits to the Volunteer
Volunteers will gain personal enrichment through experiencing and learning about Point Reyes National Seashore while enjoying opportunities for formal and informal training about the park's resources. Volunteers also enjoy the satisfaction in serving and educating a variety of park visitors while representing the National Park Service and in helping to protect sensitive cultural, historical, and natural resources of national significance. Volunteers may have the opportunity to certify in CPR and first aid.
Individuals are encouraged to apply.
Minimum age is 16. Volunteers under 18 must have a signed parental consent form. Please contact us (see below) for more information.
Application and Contact Information
Housing and camping/RV sites are unavailable.
Please apply here
via Volunteer.gov. For more information, contact Doug Hee at 415-464-5145 or by email
Top of Page