Last updated: September 14, 2022
Parking - Auto, Trailhead
The Coast trailhead is a popular place to start an easy hike, bike, or horseback ride to the beach. It meanders through creek-side habitat before going by wetlands as you approach the ocean. Beginning across Laguna Road from the Point Reyes Hostel, this 2.8-mile-long flat service road will end at Coast Campground with access to Santa Maria Beach from there. This may be incorporated with the Laguna and Fire Lane trails to form a 5-mile-long (8-km-long) loop hike.
Suggested Routes From This Trailhead
Hike the Laguna-Coast Loop: 5 miles total (8 km); moderate
Hike to Sculptured Beach: 8.6 miles (13.8 km) roundtrip; moderate
Bike to Coast Campground: 5.6 miles (9 km) roundtrip, easy – bikes are only permitted on the Coast Trail from the Coast Trailhead to Coast Campground
App Users: For more information on this specific routes, press the "Things to Do" icon on the park's homepage and select "Hiking" from the list of activities. Find the option listed above, or browse routes that begin at the park’s other trailheads.
- Take only pictures; leave only footprints: Almost everything one finds at Point Reyes is protected by law, including shells, rocks, fossils, flowers, and artifacts.
- Please only travel on authorized trails, respect posted signs, and practice Leave No Trace principles when recreating in the park.
- Check current conditions and trail advisories and closures before your visit.
- Bicycles are permitted on the Coast Trail from the Coast Trailhead along Laguna Road to the Coast Campground. Bicycles are prohibited on the other trails in the area since they pass through the Phillip Burton Wilderness.
- Pets are not permitted on any trail in this area. Visit our Pets page to learn where pets are permitted at Point Reyes National Seashore.
- Horses and pack animals are permitted on most park trails, including the Coast Trail. Please visit our Horse Riding page for more information.
- Drones are not permitted anywhere in Point Reyes National Seashore.
The Coast Trailhead is approximately 15 minutes by car from the Bear Valley Visitor Center. It is located along Laguna Road 0.2 miles (0.4 meters) from its junction with Limantour Road. Space for parking is limited. A 300-foot-long (90-meter-long) stretch of unpaved shoulder on the south side of Laguna Road (e.g., across the road from the hostel) is generally wide enough for about 15 vehicles to park. Please pull completely off the road and make sure your vehicle is entirely out of the lane of travel. Larger vehicles and horse-trailers should park in the grassy area on the south side of the road another 1000 feet (305 meters) to the east.
Directions to Bear Valley
Directions from Bear Valley to the Coast Trailhead