Last updated: November 17, 2021
Audio Description, Baby Changing Station, Benches/Seating, Picnic Table, Restroom, Restroom - Accessible, Scenic View/Photo Spot, Toilet - Flush, Trash/Litter Receptacles, Water - Bottle-Filling Station, Water - Drinking/Potable, Wheelchair Accessible
Peninsula Depot is a ticketing office and boarding location for Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad. It is also the only historic depot remaining in the valley. However, even it has gone through change.
When the Valley Railway opened in 1880, every community along its route through the Cuyahoga Valley had a depot. A fire destroyed the original Peninsula Depot in the 1960s. In 1968, local designer and historic preservationist Robert Hunker purchased the depot in the village of Boston and moved it two miles to this location. Thus, today’s Peninsula Depot started its life as the Boston Mill Depot.
The Peninsula Depot is a typical combination station that served passengers and freight. Railroads were among the first companies to standardize business practices, including building architecture. A station agent operated the depot from the middle office, selling tickets, planning travel itineraries, and reporting freight and express movements.
Shops, restaurants, and trails are a short walk from the depot. To reach restrooms and the Towpath Trail, cross the tracks at the designated crossing and walk the path along the river to the right. Follow the blue blazes to the east and up an old road to access the Valley and Buckeye trails. The Cuyahoga River Water Trail has an access point in the Lock 29 area.
- cuyahoga valley national park
- transportation history
- train depot
- national register of historic places
- historic district
- cultural landscapes
- towpath trail
- ohio to erie trail
- industrial heartland trail network
- ohio and erie canalway
- cuyahoga river
- river access
- ohio and erie canal