- No advance reservations are required to enter Pinnacles National Park.
- Reservations for the Pinnacles Campground can be made at recreation.gov. All reservations must be made at least 48 hours in advance.
Special Use Permits
A special use permit is required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than the public at large. These activities require some degree of management from the National Park Service in order to protect park resources, the public interest and their park experience. Special use permits are required for events such as weddings, ceremonies, First Amendment activities, scattering cremation ashes, festivals, concerts, cultural programs, sporting and public spectator attractions.
- Download a Special Use Permit Application.
- Make sure you read the conditions of the permit before you arrive in the park.
- There is a non-refundable $50.00 application fee for all Special Use and Commercial Use Authorization permits for Pinnacles National Park. This includes non-profit applications. There is no application fee associated with First Amendment permits.
Commercial Photography and Filming Permits
Commercial filming or photography requires a filming permit. Permits are not required for visitors using cameras for personal use, or for film or video news crews at breaking news events.
- The Short Form Commercial Filming Permit is intended for less complex activities and a crew of ten people or fewer.
- The Long Form Commercial Filming Permit should be used for more complex activities and for crews of more than ten people.
- A list of commercial filming fees can be found here.
Commercial Use Authorization Permits
Any commercial, noncommercial, or nonprofit groups operating in the park or using park resources must have a commercial use authorization (CUA) permit if their activities result in monetary gain for any individual, organization, or corporation. If the amount of money collected from all members of the group exceeds the actual expenses of the trip, the trip is classified as CUA. This includes educational institutions. A CUA is issued for a period of one year. Upon review of the permittee’s annual report for compliance, a CUA can be renewed.
- Download a Commercial Use Authorization Permit Application.
- Commercial Use Authorizations require a $200.00 administrative fee in addition to the application fee.
- If you are leading a hike, climb, or other guided activity, please fill out an authorized guide service itinerary.
For more information on permits contact:
SUP/CUA Permit Coordinator, Pinnacles National Park
5000 Highway 146
Paicines, CA 95043-9770
Phone (831) 389-4427, Ext. 4485; FAX (831) 389-4288; or email email@example.com
Applications for special use permits must be received no later than 30 days in advance to allow for processing comments and compliance review. Applications received less than 30 days in advance may be denied. First amendment rights applications must be received five days in advance to allow processing comments and compliance review. Applications for large group activities that occur within the park should be submitted at least 6 months in advance to allow for processing, comments, compliance, and authorization to advertise the event.
Once a permit has been approved and issued, most park entrance fees are not waived for the permittee and participants. Upon arrival to Pinnacles, entrance fees will be collected in accordance with federal recreational fee guidelines, including the use of an individual’s Federal Recreation Passes. Carpooling is always encouraged. Commercial Use Authorization Permit entrance fees are covered for their staff only by the $200.00 annual administrative fee.