Come prepared! Weather on Padre Island varies widely and can change from sunny and warm to thunderstorms and heavy winds very quickly. Here are some weather-related links and information for planning your visit:
For Today's conditions:
Call our Beach & Weather Conditions Hotline (361-949-8175) to hear the current day's weather forecast, tides, beach driving conditions, seaweed levels, fishing reports, alerts, and other very helpful information. This recording is updated at about 9:00 a.m. daily.
See current conditions on our Malaquite Beach webcam. Refresh the page each minute for an updated image.
Typical Weather Conditions:
Padre Island has long, hot summers and short, mild winters. Most rain falls near the beginning and end of hurricane and tropical storm season, which lasts from June to October.
- Spring –Daytime temperatures average in the 70s-80's Fahrenheit, with lows in the 50s-60's.
- Summer – Daytime temperatures are usually in the mid-90's Fahrenheit, with very humid conditions. Lows are usually in the 70's. Afternoon and evening sea breezes help to moderate temperatures.
- Fall – Daytime temperatures average in the 70s-80's Fahrenheit, with lows in the 50s-60's.
- Winter – High temperatures are usually between 50°-70° Fahrenheit but can occasionally drop into the upper 30;s. Sudden, strong cold fronts can move through, bringing gale force winds and dropping temperatures quickly. The wintertime climate is typically dry, though most of the year's rainfall occurs in the winter.
- Year-round – Average wind speed ranges from 5-25 miles per hour. Relative humidity seldom drops below 70%.
- Rainfall - Average rainfall for the southern end of the park is 26 inches and 29 inches for the northern end of the park.
Click on a location to get the National Weather Service forecast for that area:
- Malaquite Beach
- The Laguna Madre near Bird Island Basin
- The first few miles of South Beach
- The middle portion of the park
- Port Mansfield Channel (the southern portion of the park)
- Gulf of Mexico Coastal Waters from Port Aransas to Baffin Bay
- Gulf of Mexico Coastal Waters from Baffin Bay to Port Mansfield