|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Veronica Greear, 423-346-6294
Contact: Christopher Derman
The National Park Service celebrated its Centennial Birthday on August 25. In honor of this milestone, Obed Wild and Scenic River recently hosted a combined birthday celebration and unveiling of the winners of the park’s fifth annual photography contest. The Art-in-the-Park reception celebration featured refreshments, complete with birthday cake, and live music by Shelter Road Band.
The entrants for the Art-in-the-Park photography contest submitted photos in five categories the winners were announced at the August 25 event:
- Action/Adventure – L.D. Coffey of Stearns, Kentucky, with On the Edge
- Artistic – Peggy Yaeger of Corbin, Kentucky, with Indian Pink
- Flora/Fauna – Peggy Yaeger of Corbin, Kentucky with Flame Azalea
- Landscapes – L.D. Coffey of Stearns, Kentucky, with Lower Melton Mill Branch Falls
- Youth – Lindsey Burtis-Fuller of Oak Ridge, Tennessee, with Pretty and Petite
- Paul Schubert of Harriman, Tennessee, with Nemo at Night
- Stanley Long of Norris, Tennessee, with Nemo Bridge
- Walt Riches of Crossville, Tennessee, with Lady’s Slipper
- Emily J. Meadors of Williamsburg, Kentucky, with Trout Lily
The photos of the 2016 Obed Photo Contest were judges by the Southern Appalachian Nature Photographers group.
The 2017 photo contest reception will be held in August, 2017, at a date yet to be announced. The deadline for the photograph submissions will be on July 15, 2017.
The winning photos can be found on display at the Obed Visitor Center, located at 208 North Maiden Street in downtown Wartburg. You may also view them by clicking here.
For more information, please contact the park at 423-346-6294.