Public input sought on plan for former Hamilton Grange site on Convent Avenue

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: May 26, 2011
Contact: Darren Boch, 212-668-2251

New York, NY - The National Park Service (NPS) recently published an Amendment to the Hamilton Grange National Memorial General Management Plan. The Amendment focuses on alternatives for development that will guide the long-term management of the NPS property at 287 Convent Avenue in Harlem, former site of Hamilton Grange. The Amendment is available for review at local libraries and at https://parkplanning.nps.gov/HamiltonGrangeGMPA-EA .

Public comment on the Amendment will be accepted until June 20, 2011. Comments may be submitted in writing to the Superintendent, Hamilton Grange NM, 26 Wall Street, New York, NY 10005, or via online at the planning site referenced above.

June 1 Public Meeting

The NPS is hosting a public meeting on the Amendment where the public will have the opportunity to ask questions and make comments on the alternatives presented in the plan. The meeting will be held on June 1, 2011 from 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM at The Harlem School of the Arts, 645 St. Nicholas Avenue, New York, NY 10030. 

About Hamilton Grange National Memorial
Built in 1802, the 'Grange' is the only home Founding Father Alexander Hamilton ever owned. A member of Congress and co-author of the Federalist Papers, Hamilton was indispensable in the effort to get the Constitution adopted. The founder of the Revenue Service, which later became the United States Coast Guard, Hamilton served as the first Secretary of the Treasury (1789-1795), becoming the architect of the American financial system. The Grange originally stood on what would later become W 143rd Street. In 1889, to save it from demolition as New York City's street grid moved north, the home was moved to Convent Avenue. In 2008, the National Park Service moved the home to the southeast corner of St. Nicholas Park, a part of Hamilton's original 34-acre estate. The home is being restored and is expected to reopen to the public in the summer of 2011.



Last updated: February 26, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

26 Wall Street
New York, NY 10007

Phone:

(212) 668-5180

Contact Us