|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Charles Beall, 360 854-7302
A mere five miles of road within North Cascades National Park Service Complex is affected by the winter closure of the North Cascades Highway (State Route 20) at milepost 134. This means that scenic drivers and adventurers alike can enjoy their national park all winter long:
· The North Cascades National Park Visitor Center near Newhalem is open Saturdays and Sundays 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
· Scenic drivers can access the Diablo Lake and Gorge Creek Falls Overlooks.
· Campers can access the Colonial Creek, Gorge Lake, and Goodell Creek Campgrounds (no winter services and no fees).
· Hikers can access the Ross Dam, Happy-Panther, Pyramid Lake, Thunder Knob, Diablo Lake, Thunder Creek, Pyramid Lake, and Newhalem Area trails.
· Boaters can access Diablo and Gorge Lakes.
· Rafters can access the Skagit River.
The Washington State Department of Transportation plows the North Cascades Highway to the closure at milepost 134 and the National Park Service ensures access to the North Cascades National Park Visitor Center, but access to campgrounds, overlooks, boat ramps, and trailheads is not maintained and may be impacted by winter conditions. More information about visiting your national park is available at www.nps.gov/noca or by calling park headquarters in Sedro-Woolley at 360-854-7200.