Ninety Six was rebuilt several hundred yards west of the original location in 1783. It was later renamed Cambridge in 1787 after the "College of Cambridge" was established here in 1785. By 1800, Cambridge was on the decline. A devastating flu pandemic hit the town, the judicial seat moved to Abbeville, and the railroad passed through nearby Greenwood contributing to the town's demise. Within 65 years, Cambridge faded away to become local history.
Online Tour Stop 17 - Cambridge
Located nearby the visitor center is a two-story log house dating to the late 1700s. It was built by an early settler, Andrew Logan, in what is now Greenwood and later relocated to Ninety Six National Historic Site in 1968. The house is typical of colonial-era backcountry buildings. A fireplace would have been used for heat and cooking, furniture would have been scant and simple, and animals might have been quartered in a side-yard pen.
Today the structure is furnished as a tavern. They were more than just places to eat, drink, and sleep; taverns were places to conduct business. In colonial society, taverns held an important and vital role in the community. The Logan Log House, also referred to as the Black Swan Tavern, is the center of living history programs at the park.
Last updated: July 23, 2016