How do I get a permit for a picnic?
National Mall: There are NO permitted picnicking areas on the National Mall.
The Hains Point (East Potomac Park) Picnic Areas can be reserved at www.recreation.gov
Hains Point (East Potomac Park): There are four (4) reservable picnicking areas within Hains Point. These areas are permitted from January 1- December 31 from 8:00 am - 8:00 pm, daily, except Labor Day through Memorial Day, to allow for footraces. During this time period the picnics will start at 9:30 am.
The following restrictions apply to the picnicking areas of Hains Point:
• The consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
• Parking or driving on the grass is not permitted. Violators will be cited. Illegally parked vehicles may be towed away and impounded at the owner's expense.
• No live bands, disc jockeys, etc. are permitted. The volume of amplification or programs must be adjusted to ensure the sound is not carried beyond the confines of the reserved area.
• Raffles and gambling are prohibited on park property.
• Picnic tables may not be moved from adjacent areas as they are for use by the general public.
• All Balloons are banned on park lands.
• Grills are NOT provided by the Park Service. Only charcoal grills may be used in the picnicking areas. There are special receptacles for used charcoals and ashes along the service road.
Reservations for three (3) National Park Service locations:
• Rock Creek Park: Picnic areas (that require reservations)
• Fort Dupont Park: Picnic areas 47, 47-A, and Lanham Estates
• Volleyball Courts: Near the Lincoln Memorial (Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway, NW)
For more information about these reserved areas go to www.recreation.gov