Concord's North Bridge, the site of “the shot heard ‘round the world.” This beautifully restored 19th century commemorative landscape, featuring the famous Minute Man statue by Daniel Chester French, is a perfect place to reflect upon this hallowed ground. Programs
North Bridge Visitor Center (174 Liberty St. Concord MA.) is located in a brick mansion built in 1911 by descendents of the Buttrick family (Major John Buttrick was the colonial officer who first ordered his militia to fire upon British soldiers.), the North Bridge Visitor Center features a short video about the North Bridge fight, a bookstore and exhibits.
Minute Man Visitor Center is located near the eastern entrance of the park just off I-95 (exit 46B) on Rt 2A. The visitor center exhibits include a forty-foot mural that portrays the fighting between Colonists and British Regulars. Park Rangers are on duty to answer questions. The mulitmedia presentation "The Road To Revolution," is currently unavailable.
The Minute Man Visitor Center is open daily 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. April 1, 2021- October 31, 2021.
Explore the Battle Road Trail. This five mile trail connects historic sites from Meriam’s Corner in Concord to the eastern boundary of the park in Lexington. The main theme of the trail is the Battle of April 19, 1775, that launched the American Revolution. Much of the trail follows original remnants of the Battle Road; other sections leave the historic road to follow the route of the Minute Men, traversing farming fields, wetlands, and forests.
Hartwell Tavern was a well-known stop for travelers on the Bay Road in Lincoln. On April 19, 1775 the British column passed by here on their way to Concord and again during their fighting retreat to Boston in the afternoon. Three of the Hartwell sons, including John and Isaac who lived here, fought as minute men.
Hartwell Tavern is open Wednesday-Sunday, 10 am - 4 pm, July 3-October 31, 2021. Programs
Parking For Hartwell Tavern is located along Route 2A approximately 1 mile east of Minute Man Visitor Center.
The Wayside: Home of Authors, (455 Lexington Road, Concord MA.) is where 19th-century authors kept the spirit of the Revolution alive by contributing to the creation of an American literary identity and playing an active role in the antislavery movement and the struggle for women's rights.
During the Revolutionary era, The Wayside was the home of Samuel Whitney, muster master of the Concord Minute Men. During the 19th century, it was home at different times to three famous authors: Louisa May Alcott, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Harriet Lothrop (Margaret Sidney).
The Wayside House is currently closed for guided tours. The unit grounds remain open.
Last updated: October 8, 2021