|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Phil Lupsiewicz, 978-275-1705CONCORD, MA – The North Bridge Visitor Center, located on the hillside overlooking the historic North Bridge will undergo a major exterior preservation beginning in September 2019 and expected to be complete by spring of 2020.
North Bridge Visitor Center, also known locally as the Buttrick Mansion, is scheduled to begin a major restoration that is expected to go from fall through spring, 2020. Visitors will shortly notice activity on the grounds surrounding the building, which will remain open until October 31, 2019. The building will close November 1 and will remain closed to visitors until April 2020.
The home was built for Stedman Buttrick in 1911 on the grounds the Buttrick family has owned since the 17th century overlooking the historic North Bridge. In 1963, the house and property were sold to the National Park Service. Today, it serves as the North Bridge Visitor Center and Park Headquarters. Several artifacts are on display in the exhibits, including a recently donated powder horn carried by Willard Buttrick on April 19, 1775.
Park Superintendent BJ Dunn states "This preservation project is incredibly important as we prepare park facilities for the upcoming 250th anniversary of the events of 1775. The North Bridge Visitor Center and Buttrick Gardens are an educational gateway and vista for visitors to the North Bridge."
The project will officially begin on Monday September 23, 2019. The selected contractor is Homer Contracting Inc. of Arlington, MA. The contract award of $1,236,000 is funded from the National Park Service Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (FRLEA - entrance fees collected at national parks subsequently distributed to projects addressing the National Park Service deferred maintenance backlog). The work will focus on the rehabilitation of the building’s exterior envelope, which will include repairs to the roofing system, masonry, doors, windows, trim, portico and logia. A new accessible ramp will also be installed at the southeast loggia. Interior work will include repair of water damaged ceilings, restroom rehabilitation, plumbing and electrical upgrades and a new air conditioning unit will be installed to service the visitor center area.
Expected completion will be April, 2020. For general park information, please call 978-396-6993 or visit our website at www.nps.gov/MIMA.
Last updated: September 13, 2019