The Sprigg House was constructed about 1851 by John B. Weber. Mrs. Julia Sprigg, a widow, purchased it in 1853 for use as a residence for herself and her children. While living in the house, Mrs. Sprigg became close friends with neighbor Mary Lincoln. The Lincolns' youngest son, Tad, was a frequent visitor to the Sprigg house.
During Abraham Lincoln's long absences while on the judicial circuit his wife Mary found companionship with the women of the neighborhood like Mrs. Sprigg. It is known that Mrs. Sprigg's daughter cared for the Lincoln's sons. Mrs. Sprigg later corresponded with Mary in the White House. She lived in the home until 1869.