|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Tonya Neider, 509-754-7816
Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area may implement up to 3 of the following prescribed fires during the fall of 2016.
Controlled burns in Stevens County may include:
- Rickey #1, 30 acres, near Rickey Point
- Haag Cove, 21 acres, adjacent to Haag Cove Campground
- Fort Spokane, 21 acres, adjacent to Fort Spokane Campground
The goal of these prescribed burns is to decrease forest fuel loads adjacent to campgrounds, residences and structures.Benefits will include:
- Reduced small fuels, which are primary fire carriers,
- Decreased risk and intensity of uncontrolled wildfires,
- Increased nutrients for trees and understory,
- Increased understory plant diversity and natural reseeding of trees.
The National Park Service is strongly committed to firefighter and public safety.
Additional information may be found on the Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area website at www.nps.gov/laro.