A commercial use authorization (CUA) allows an individual, group, company or other for-profit entity to conduct commercial activities and provide specific visitor services within a national park unit. The National Park Service issues CUAs to manage a wide-range of commercial visitor services in addition to road-based commercial tours. At Lake Mead National Recreation Area this includes guided kayak trips, scuba diving classes, fishing trips, boat services, and much more.
Current CUA Directory
Applicaton Fee - $300 annual non-refundable to recover administrative costs associated with reviewing and approving or denying the CUA application.
Management Fee - $5 per client
Request an application via e-mail
Cost recovery fees are not accepted until all required documentation has been received by the Commercial Use Authorization Office and notification of documentation receipt has been sent to the applicant. Pay fee online
All Commercial Use Authorizations are required to submit a current certificate of insurance showing Commercial General Liability insurance coverage, listing the U.S. Government; Lake Mead National Recreation Area; Attn: Commercial Use Authorization Office; 601 Nevada Way; Boulder City, NV 89005 as additionally insured. The insurance coverage required amounts are dependent on the service type and is listed on each CUA application.
Authorized Business Services
The following service types are currently authorized within Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Businesses interested in obtaining a permit for one of these types of services should request an application.
Approved Commercial Service Types for Commercial Use Authorizations
As of July 2016
- Appraisals (Trailer Villages)
- Bicycle Tours
- Boat Services
- Delivery/Launch/Retrieval/Safety Demonstrations
- Marine Salvage
- Marine Survey
- Raft and Boat Retrieval
- Vessel Spa Installation
- Fishing Guide
- Horseback Riding
- Hunting Guide
- Local Shuttles
- Motorized Scenic Tours
- Multi-Sport Fitness Training
- Pest Control Management
- Photography Instruction
- Sailing Instruction
- Satellite / Cable
- Scuba Charters / Instruction
- Small Wedding Services
- Vehicle Shuttle
- Waterski / Wakeboard
If you are interested in offering a business service not listed in the above authorized business services list, please submit a business proposal that answers the questions listed on thisdownloadable form.
Park Management will only review in detail business services that are not in competition with concession contract required and authorized services and are appropriate services to be offered at Lake Mead National Recreation Area. New service type reviews have a minimum review time of 90 days from receipt of application with all required paperwork.
- Activities must be appropriate to the mission of the National Park Service, particularly with regard to resource protection, visitor protection and interpretation.
- All commercial aspects of the business must take place outside of the recreation area, including all advertisement, soliciting business and negotiation or acceptance of any form of compensation.
- Only the actual visitor service being provided, such as fishing guide or SCUBA instruction, may occur within the recreation area.
- No temporary or permanent structures will be erected within the recreation area. No areas or structures will be exclusively assigned to the permittee.
- The services provided cannot conflict with or duplicate operations provided under any concession contract within Lake Mead National Recreation Area.
- While operating areas for a specific activity may be assigned, there is no limit placed on the number of permittees within the operating area.
- The permittee must maintain appropriate and adequate commercial liability insurance, applicable business and specialty licenses and adhere to park regulations for the specific visitor service provided.
- What if I conduct business without a CUA? Operating any type of commercial visitor service within Lake Mead National Recreation Area without written authorization from the United States is a violation of Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations. It is a citable offense. If you are in doubt, please contact the Lake Mead National Recreation Area Concessions Management Office either by mail, telephone, or in person.
For more information about the Commercial Use Authorization program, please contact:
Lake Mead National Recreation Area
Commercial Use Authorization Office
601 Nevada Highway
Boulder City, Nevada