Permits and Reservations


No permit is required to enter the park; however it is recommended visitors stop in at or contact the Northwest Arctic Heritage Center ahead of your trip. Park rangers will be able to provide you with valuable information about current weather, fire and wildlife alerts, back country safety, bear safety and Leave No Trace camping techniques. Bear Resistant Food Containers are available to borrow at the Northwest Arctic Heritage Center.

Commercial Activities

A business or an individual must obtain either a Concession Contract or a Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) prior to conducting any commercial activity in Kobuk Valley National Park.

These contracts and permits are issued and administered by the National Park Service (NPS).

Visit our webpage Do Business With Us to download a list of authorized commercial guides in Kobuk Valley or to obtain a permit to conduct business in the park. Contact the Heritage Center in Kotzebue with further questions at 907-442-3890.

Filming and Photography - UPDATED February 2021

Special Use Permits - a catch-all category including but not limited to activities such as special assemblies, athletic events or races, temporary access requests, first amendment activities, groups with 12 or more participants, etc.

Research Permits


Reservations are not required for any areas or activities within the park & preserve, except for organized groups.

If you are traveling in an organized group (i.e. nonprofit, educational, commercial, guided, etc.) please contact the park several months before your travel dates for permit requirements and group size limits.


Drone Use: Launching, landing, or operating of drones (i.e., unmanned aircraft) from or on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service is prohibited except as approved in writing by the superintendent.

Last updated: April 8, 2021

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 1029
Kotzebue , AK 99752


907 442-3890

Contact Us

Stay Connected