Special Use Permits

Special Use Permits

Special Use Permits are required prior to short-term events or activities that take place in an area managed by the National Park Service and:
  • Provide a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large
  • Are not in conflict with law or policy
  • Will not result in derogation of the values and purposes for which the park was established
  • Do not present a threat to public safety or property and do not unduly interfere with normal park operations, resource protection, or visitor use
  • Are neither initiated, sponsored, nor conducted by the National Park Service

Examples of events or activities requiring a Special Use Permit include but are not limited to the following: special assemblies, athletic events or races, temporary access requests, first amendment activities, groups with 12 or more participants, etc.

If you are uncertain whether a Special Use Permit is necessary for your proposed activity, please contact the park to discuss.


Drone Use. Launching, landing, or operating of drones (i.e., unmanned aircraft) from or on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service is prohibited except as approved in writing by the superintendent.

How to Apply

Please email the park for a Special Use Permit Application.

For More Information

Permit Coordinator
National Park Service
PO Box 1029, Kotzebue, AK 99752
Email us.

Last updated: February 23, 2021

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 1029
Kotzebue, AK 99752


907 442-3890

Contact Us