Artist in Residence

Artist in residence Hyon with an unfinished painting.
Hyon Fielding, one our 2012 Artists in Residence, with an unfinished work.

NPS Photo

Applications are no longer being accepted for the 2018 program.

Frequently asked questions about the Artist in Residence Program at John Day Fossil Beds:

How long are residencies and when are they available?

There is no defined length and timing of each residency; it is decided on a case-by-case basis with the selected artist.

What is provided by the National Park Service?

Reimbursement for rent and supplies used during residency (such as paint, canvases, pencils, notepads, clay, plaster, other raw materials, etc.) may be available up to a pre-determined amount. This amount is decided on a case-by-case basis as the residency is being arranged. Itemized receipt's are required for reimbursement. Reimbursements are available to US citizens and permanent residents only. Park staff will assist artists in finding local (furnished) rental units or RV spots.

What is provided by the artist?

The artist is responsible for arranging transportation to, from, and within the area. The artist will be responsible for arranging their own meals. The artist will bring all the required materials for work with them. There are no art supply stores within the area.

When is the application deadline?

The open dates for the 2019 program are yet to be determined. E-mail us to join the Artist-in-Residence e-mail list.

How are artists selected?

A panel of at least three park employees will be convened to review applications. A representative of Discover Your Northwest (DYNW) may also be part of the panel. Finalists may be asked to supply additional information or artwork examples. Special consideration will be given to artists that create works that also fill a park need. These needs include photographs of visitors using the monument to be used in publications, an interactive exhibit for the lobby of the Thomas Condon Paleontology Center (preferably three dimensional for visitors with limited vision), artwork for interpretive signs and/or our webpage, and assistance casting, molding, and/or painting fossil replicas in our laboratory.

Who owns the right to artwork created during a residency?

The artist retains the copyright for their work. They will grant perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive use licenses for artwork from their residency in the monument to the National Park Service and Discover Your Northwest.

Last updated: January 26, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

32651 Highway 19
Kimberly, OR 97848


(541) 987-2333

Contact Us