The Application Deadline
Each year, the application period is open January 2 through February 16. To be considered, all application materials must be received through the online submission process by 11:59 pm EST on the closing date.
The Application Process
We consider all forms of art except those that manipulate or disturb the park's environment.
Submit a Letter of Recommendation
Ask a teacher, boss, or other mentor to write about why you should be an Isle Royale Teen Artist.
- Preferred method: This letter of recommendation can be given to you electronically then uploaded with your other application materials or it can be given to you in hardcopy, scanned, and then uploaded with your other application materials (see below).
- You may have the selected person email the letter directly to the park: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Subject Line must include: "Teen Artist Recommendation: Your Full Name."
Submit the Isle Royale Teen Artist Online Application
Requested information includes:
Preferred Teen Artist Exploration Summer Session
Acknowledgement of Program Requirements
Submit Your Essay
Write an essay (no more than 1 page) about Why do you want to be an Isle Royale Teen Artist?
- In Word or PDF format, include this essay with all of your application materials.
Submit Your Art
Visual Artists: Provide no more than 6 images in your Word of PDF document. Clearly label each image with your name and the work's title.
Images should focus only on the actual artwork; extraneous backgrounds, mattes, or frames should not be included.
Writers: Provide no more than 6 short works or 1 long work in your Word or PDF document. Clearly label each work with your name and its title.
Creative Nonfiction for this program does not include travelogues, journalistic features, interviews, or job-related documents such as memos or legal briefs.
6 Short Poems or other short writing samples of artistic merit (1 page each)
1 Short Story, Essay, or Manuscript Excerpt (10 pages max)
- Composers, Musicians, Performing Artists, Video, Film: Provide no more than 6 short selections (about 6 minutes total) or 1 long selection (about 10 minutes total)
- Upload your submission to YouTube/Vimeo or share an existing YouTube/Vimeo link (or any other appropriate website link that can play the submission). Uploads may be public or private (YouTube allows private uploads that are only visible to those with whom you share the link). Clearly label each work with your name and its title. Include your link(s) in your Word or PDF document submission.
Email Your Artwork, Essay, and Recommendation
In one email, send all of the following items in one Word or PDF document to: email@example.com.
- Letter or Recommendation
- Samples of your Artwork
- Why Do You Want to be an Isle Royale Teen Artist (one-page)