• Part of a roofline shows from one building. Trees with fall color leaves on them fill most of the photo. A lamp-post is near center of the photo.

    Harpers Ferry Center

FAQs About Typefaces & Print Vendors

Question 1: How do I access extended characters (also called Unicode symbols or glyphs) in the OpenType versions of Adobe Frutiger and NPS Rawlinson?

In MS Word:

  • (Word 2003) Select Insert > Symbol from the MS Word menu bar and then select the Symbols tab in the Symbol dialog box.
  • (Word 2007) Select Symbol from the right end of the Insert ribbon, and then select More Symbols…
  • Select from: Unicode (hex) from the drop-down list at the bottom right corner of the Symbols dialog box.
  • You can now select and insert any OpenType Unicode symbol from the Symbols palette.

In Adobe InDesign CS, CS2 or CS3:

  • Select Type > Glyphs to open the Glyphs palette.

Question 2: Why can't I give my print vendor or GPO print contractor copies of my Adobe Frutiger typefaces? They're telling me I have to.

You can, and should – but only if your vendor has a license to use Adobe Frutiger (a license for either the Postscript Type 1 or OpenType version of Adobe Frutiger is acceptable).

The single exception to this requirement is if you are supplying a PDF, EPS or PostScript file where the fonts are embedded in the file or converted to outlines (see Question 5 below).

Question 3: What if my print vendor or GPO contractor insists they don't need a license from Adobe to output my print job.

Tell them you will both be violating Adobe's typeface licensing agreement. Section 2.6.3 of the Adobe Systems font software license states:

"You may take a copy of the font(s) you have used for a particular file to a commercial printer or other service bureau, and such service bureau may use the font(s) to process your file, provided such service bureau has a valid license to use that particular font software."

According to Use of Fonts published by The American Institute of Graphic Artists:

"A font may only be sent with a job to a service bureau, consultant or freelancer if the contractor has a license for the font or if the license agreement makes provision for it. When necessary, it is acceptable for font data to be embedded in file formats such as EPS and PDF for printing and previewing purposes."

To solve the problem after a print job has already been sent to your vendor, the print vendor must purchase a license for Adobe Frutiger from Adobe Systems before you can send them your Frutiger font files (a license for either the Postscript Type 1 or OpenType version of Adobe Frutiger is acceptable).

To prevent this circumstance from happening in the future, specify in your printing contract that the vendor must have a license for Adobe Frutiger in order to print your job. This will enable them to build the font purchase cost into their price.

Note: These use restrictions do not apply to NPS Rawlinson, which is licensed to the National Park Service for unrestricted and unlimited use by NPS employees, partners, and vendors who are engaged in NPS business.

Question 4: If my vendor already has Adobe Frutiger, why should I supply it?

Answer: Because there may be different versions of a font family that will substitute for one another without warning. If the vendor has a different version of Frutiger than the version you used to create the document, character spacing or special character selections could change. This might cause your document to look quite different from your expectations.

Question 5: Why don't I just create a PDF, EPS or Postscript file with embedded fonts and avoid the whole issue?

Because for your file to image properly, your vendor usually has to edit the print settings and employ the proper driver for their equipment and output software. They might have to paginate the job before "RIPping" (sending it to their "Raster Image Processor"). They might even have to edit the colors in the document or correct some errors that exist. To make such corrections, the vendor must open the native file in the page layout software such as Adobe InDesign.

An exception to this rule might be if your print vendor gives you very specific instructions for creating your PDF, EPS or Postscript file.

Browse the Harpers Ferry Center:

Browse the National Park Service: