Descend 425 feet (130m) through a rain forest that has been re-established numerous times to a panoramic view on the floor of Kaluapele (Kīlauea caldera).
View the Halema‘uma‘u Trail Guide (pdf 2.98MB).
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Distance and hiking time:
- 0.8 miles (1.3 km) one-way from Crater Rim Trail to the floor of Kaluapele (Kīlauea caldera)
- 1.3 miles (2.1 km) one-way from Crater Rim Trail to the top of Uēaloha (Byron Ledge), allowing for longer hikes to Kīlauea Iki and Nāhuku (Thurston Lava Tube)
- Trail begins: Behind the Volcano House off Crater Rim Trail.
- Bring: Water, food, hat, sun protection and rain gear. Be prepared for hot, dry, wet, and windy weather conditions.