|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Jessica Ferracane, 808-985-6018
Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park announces the following upcoming flight plans for August and September 2014:
• August 15, from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m., survey storm impact on summit and backcountry areas of Mauna Loa.
• August 15, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., helicopter recertification training near the summit of Kīlauea.
• August 26, between 8 a.m. and noon, transport fence materials and equipment for fencing project in upper Kahuku above Ka‘ū Forest Reserve.
• August 26 and 28, between 8 a.m. and noon, petrel monitoring from the summit of Kīlauea to Mauna Loa.
• August 26, between 6 a.m. and 8 a.m., ungulate surveys and control work in Kahuku between 3,000 and 7,000 ft. elevation.
• September 22, between 8 a.m. and noon, flying camp supplies and drinking water from end of Chain of Craters Road to ‘Āpua Point, Keauhou, and Halapē campsites for monitoring of hawksbill turtle nesting season.
The park regrets any noise impact to residents and park visitors. Dates and times are subject to change based on aircraft availability and weather. Management of the park requires the use of aircraft to monitor and research volcanic activity, conduct search-and-rescue missions and law enforcement operations, support management of natural and cultural resources, and to maintain backcountry facilities.