|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Jessica Ferracane, 808-985-6018
Hawaii National Park, Hawai‘i – Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park announces the following flight plans for February 2016:
• February 4, between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., for faya tree surveys between 4,000- and 6,500-ft. elevation
• February 8 and 9 for fountain grass monitoring and control from Ka‘aha to the Great Crack, between sea level and 3,000-ft. elevation
• February 9, between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m., to haul out fencing material and equipment from Kahuku-Kapāpala boundary between 7,000- and 9,000-ft. elevation
• February 16 and 17 , between 8 a.m. and noon, for mullein surveys on Mauna Loa between 6,000- and 8,500-ft. elevation
• February 17, between noon and 1 p.m., short haul recertification flight training at Escape Road near the Mauna Ulu parking lot
• February 18, 19, and 29, between 7 a.m. and noon, to shuttle crew, camp supplies, fencing material and equipment to Mauna Loa at about 9,000-ft. elevation
The park regrets any noise impact to residents and park visitors. Dates and times are subject to change based on aircraft availability and weather.
Management of the park requires the use of aircraft to monitor and research volcanic activity, conduct search-and-rescue missions and law enforcement operations, support management of natural and cultural resources, and to maintain backcountry facilities.