|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Jessica Ferracane, 808-985-6018
Hawaii National Park, Hawai'i – Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park announces the upcoming flight plans for September and October 2015:
- Tuesdays for the months of September and October, depending on weather and project needs, between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. for ungulate surveys and control work in Kahuku between 3,000 and 7,000 ft. elevation
- Sept. 9 between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m., along the park and Hawaiian Oceanview Subdivision (HOVE) boundary, for boundary fence construction
- Sept. 17 between noon and 2 p.m., from the summit Kīlauea to Mauna Loa at about 9,000 ft. elevation of for fence inspection
- Sept. 21 and 25 (less than two hours each day, exact time to be determined) to transport camp supplies and equipment between Hilina Pali and Pepeiao Cabin to control silk oak
- Sept 21 between 6:30 a.m. and 7:30 a.m., petrel monitoring from the summit of Kīlauea to Mauna Loa at about 9,000 ft. elevation
- Sept. 24 between 9 a.m. and noon for petrel monitoring from the summit of Kīlauea to Mauna Loa at about 9,000 ft. elevation
- Oct. 6 between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. for ungulate surveys and control work in Kahuku between 3,000 and 7,000 ft. elevation
The park regrets any noise impact to residents and park visitors. Dates and times are subject to change based on aircraft availability and weather.
Management of the park requires the use of aircraft to monitor and research volcanic activity, conduct search-and-rescue missions and law enforcement operations, support management of natural and cultural resources, and to maintain backcountry facilities.