|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Aaron LaRocca, 202-438-6619
McLean, Va. – The National Park Service (NPS) wants to hear from you about a proposed boathouse and related facilities on the Virginia side of the Potomac River along the George Washington Memorial Parkway. A boathouse would improve waterfront access and increase opportunities for rowing and other non-motorized boating such as canoeing, kayaking and stand-up paddleboarding.
The goal is to improve rowing conditions on the Potomac River by decreasing the potential for conflicts between motorized and non-motorized watercraft and shortening travel times for non-motorized boaters and rowers traveling between Arlington County and boat clubs in Washington, D.C. The proposal analyzes several alternatives for the boathouse facility and floating docks, including:
- Two potential locations for an environmentally sustainable public rowing and paddling facility
- Two soft launches within the George Washington Memorial Parkway boundary
You can learn more by reading our Environmental Assessment (EA). The NPS welcomes your feedback and suggestions as we move forward in this project. Hearing from members of the community is a critical piece of our preliminary engineering and planning process.
There are three ways to comment during a 30-day public review period through :
- In person at our open house on at:
- Online through the park Planning, Environment & Public Comment webpage for the Arlington County and Vicinity Nonmotorized Boathouse Environmental Assessment
- By mail for letters postmarked by :
George Washington Memorial Parkway
c/o Turkey Run Park
700 George Washington Memorial Parkway
McLean, VA 22101