Special Use Permits


A special park use is a short-term activity that takes place in a park area and typically provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization, or a First Amendment cause, rather than the public at large. The National Park Service may permit a special park use providing the activity will not cause derogation of the park's resources or values, visitor experiences, or the purpose for which the park was established. Primary consideration will be given to potential resource damage and to anticipated disruption of normal public use. Applications should be submitted as soon as possible, but at a minimum of two weeks in advance.

Types of Activities Requiring Special Use Permit:

  • Weddings
  • Sporting events, festivals, and many other organized gatherings and events
  • Public assemblies, demonstrations, speechmaking, and distributing printed materials
  • Religious ceremonies
  • Commercial filming/photography projects involving models, actors, or props (minimum two week processing time)

Commercial business activities, research activities, and scattering cremated ashes require different permits, not a special use permit. Pavillion rental prices are not included in the Special Use Permit fee. Please return to Permits and Reservations page in order to apply for a permit for these activities and view pavillion rental prices.

General Conditions Applying to All Permits:

  • Access for other park visitors must not be impeded.
  • Park entrance fees apply to all vehicles associated with the permitted event or activity.
  • Available parking is limited, often crowded and not guaranteed.
  • Depending on location and time of day, request may be denied during periods of heavy use (such as Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, or weekends).
  • Events must not impact park resources or impede a positive visitor experience for others.
  • Use of decorations, music, and equipment must be specifically discussed with park staff and approved by permit.
  • The permit holder is required to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws, ordinances, regulations, and codes.

Applying for a Special Use Permit:

Contact the park for an application.


Gulf Islands National Seashore
Attn: Special Use Permits
1801 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL 32563


Special Use Permits Office

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

1801 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL 32563



Contact Us