All food, trash, toiletries, and other odorous items must be stored inside an Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC) approved bear canister. This includes but is not limited to all sealed or packaged food, sunscreen, soap, mosquito repellent, lip balm, deodorant, medications, and feminine products. As a general rule, if you put it in your mouth or on your skin, it should probably be stored in a bear canister.
- Prepare food, eat, and store your bear-resistant food canister at least 100 yards downwind from your tent.
- Store your canister on the ground hidden in brush or behind rocks.
- Do not place canister near a cliff or water source. Bears may knock the canister around or roll it down a hill.
- Watch for approaching bears. Be ready to quickly put your food away.
- Keep your bear canister closed and locked, even when you are near your campsite. The bear canister only works when it is closed and locked!
- Do not attach anything to the canister (ropes attached to the canister may allow a bear to carry it away).