Yavapai Geology Museum
Download yos_20070514_02 994kb JPG File
On May 24, 2007, the National Park Service re-dedicated the historic Yavapai Observation Station — originally called the Yavapai Point Trailside Museum — on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. New geology exhibits, consistent with the vision of the building’s designers to “make the out-of-doors intelligible,” were also unveiled.
Download 09765 (1.01MB JPG File) 16 JUNE 1929
The original structure, which was first dedicated in July 1928, was designed by architect Herbert C. Maier. The building was erected on a site selected by a team of geologists for the express purpose of observing and understanding Grand Canyon geology. Maier designed the Yavapai Point Trailside Museum to blend into its setting, and used indigenous Kaibab limestone and ponderosa pine in its construction.
WEST FACING EXPOSURE OF YAVAPAI MUSEUM. SHOWS TALUS & CLIFF BELOW. CANYON BEYOND.
NATURALIST EDWIN MCKEEE SHOWS THE CANYON TO VISITORS FROM THE PARAPET OF YAVAPAI OBSERVATION STATION.
CIRCA 1930. NPS.
RANGER NATURALIST RALPH REDBURN SHOWS YAVAPAI MUSEUM VISITORS THE GEOLOGICAL COLUMN.
SEPTEMBER 1932. NPS.
Download YOS0510 (355KB JPG FILE)
Download YOS2208Map (555kb JPG File)
Photographs from the 2007 re-dedication ceremony are posted on this page. Historic photos from may also be downloaded above. Click on a photo number and a high resolution version will appear in a new window. (4x6 inches @ 300 dpi)
The re-dedication ceremony took place outside the Yavapai Observation Station, located at Yavapai Point on the South Rim in Grand Canyon National Park. In addition to Park Superintendent Steve Martin, featured guest speakers included Lynn Scarlett, Assistant Deputy Secretary, Department of the Interior, and George H. Billingsley, Geologist, U.S. Geological Survey.
“We are extremely excited about the renovation of Yavapai Observation Station, along with the new exhibits that tell the story of Grand Canyon’s geology,” stated Steve Martin, park superintendent. “This is but the first step, as we continue to forge opportunities for connections between our park visitors and the incredible Grand Canyon.”
1800 x 1200 pixels @ 300 dpi 381kb JPG File
Lynn Scarlett, Assistant Deputy Secretary, Department of the Interior addresses the audience at the rededication of the Yavapai Observation Station, May 24, 2007.
1800 x 1200 pixels @ 300 dpi 400kb JPG File
George H. Billingsley, Geologist, U.S. Geological Survey describes his lifetime of work studying and mapping the Grand Canyon at the rededication of the Yavapai Observation Station, May 24, 2007.
1800 x 1200 pixels @ 300 dpi 346kb JPG File
Grand Canyon National Park Superintendent Steve Martin assists as Lynn Scarlett, Assistant Deputy Secretary, Department of the Interior, and George H. Billingsley, Geologist, U.S. Geological Survey, cut the ribbon to unveil the new exhibits at the Yavapai Observation Station. May 24, 2007
1800 x 1200 pixels @ 300 dpi 280kb JPG File
yos_y0398 1.14MB JPG File
The new exhibits, consistent with the vision of the building’s original designers to "make the out-of-doors intelligible," focus on the geologic story of the Grand Canyon.
yos_y0414 1.09MB JPG File
1931 PHOTO OF PARK STAFF PLANTING STEVEN MATHER MEMORIAL TREE AT YAVAPAI OBSERVATION STATION. L TO R: 1) WOMAN NOT IDENTIFIED, 2) MRS EDWIN MCKEE, 3) JAMES BROOKS, CHIEF RANGER, 4) RANGER NOT IDENTIFIED, 5) EDWIN MCKEE, PARK NATURALIST, HOLDING SHOVEL, 6) DONALD MCHENRY, JR NATURALIST, 7) POLLY MEAD-PATRAW, NATURALIST, 8) CARL LEHNERT, RANGER, 9) ART BROWN, RANGER, 10) CLARK CARROL, ENGINEER, STANDING, 11) PRESTON PATRAW, ASST. SUP'T. NPS PHOTO.