Special Use Permits

panoramic photo of a special event site on the edge of a canyon. There are several picnic tables under pinyon and juniper trees, and a picnic shelter with 2 cars parked nearby.
Shoshone Point event site is available for reservation between May 15, and October 15, by groups wishing to host a wedding, celebrate a birthday, conduct a memorial service, hold a family reunion, or a similar non-commercial event. NPS Photo/M. Quinn
Grand Canyon National Park is home to many beautiful landscapes which make it a popular place for weddings and special events. Most special events and activities held in the park require a special use permit, issued only after the National Park Service (NPS) determines that the activity will not impair the park's resources or impair values, visitor experiences, or the purpose for which the park was established. 36 CFR 2.50

Please email Commercial Services at grca_permits_mail@nps.gov if you would like to review the specific conditions for your requested event prior to submitting your application.


  • Special Use Permits only allow the use of the permitted area. The permit does not provide for, or include, any services or amenities.
  • Applications are only accepted up to 1 year in advance.

Grand Canyon National Park has permanently suspended permitting the scattering of human cremains (ashes) within the park. The park’s Special Use Permit (SUP) program is no longer issuing permits for ash scattering at Grand Canyon. This decision was made after extensive interdisciplinary review and formal comment from our 11 traditionally associated tribes.

Grand Canyon, the Colorado River, Little Colorado River, and their surrounding areas are significant sacred sites rooted in the traditional history and cultural identity of Grand Canyon’s associated tribes. Based on associations with the cultural practices, traditions, beliefs, lifeways, and social institutions of traditional native communities, these areas combined are a Traditional Cultural Property eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic places pursuant to 36 CFR 60.4.

The practice of scattering ashes at Grand Canyon is considered disrespectful to many indigenous people and traditional communities. As such, the permitting of the activity could constitute an adverse impact to the Traditional Cultural Property at Grand Canyon and is incompatible with the park’s goal of recognizing indigenous beliefs.

Under 36 C.F.R. § 2.62(b), the scattering of ashes is prohibited at Grand Canyon National Park. This activity is inconsistent and interferes with the NPS’s efforts to comply with the National Historic Preservation Act, 16 U.S.C. § 470 et seq., and the Native American Grave Protection and Repatriation Act, 25 U.S.C. § 3001 et seq.

Non-refundable application fees are as follows:

  • Special Event: $425
  • Rim to Rim: $250
  • Wedding (non-Shoshone Point locations): $240
  • Shoshone Point: $500
  • Shrine of the Ages: $275

Do not submit any payment information with your application. Payment instructions will be emailed after application is received.
Please note that the application fee for special use permits is charged to recover costs of the permit approval process and is non-refundable (per 54 U.S.C. 103104, OMB Circular A-25, and NPS Reference Manual 53 Chapter 10). These fees include costs associated with permit processing and program administration.

Already know which type of SUP you need? Skip to the Application Form


Special Events

A special use permit is required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization rather than the public at large. 36 CFR 2.50 These activities require some degree of management from the National Park Service if there is the potential for interference with visitor use, congestion of a highly visited area, or possible impact on park resources. Special Use Permits are required for organized group activities and special events at Tuweep. Requests for such activities are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Contact our office for more information, including location and date availability. Application Form -- Fees


Organized Group Rim-to-Rim and Extended Day Hike/Run:
Any organized, non-commercial group of 12-30 participants, or not-for-profit group conducting rim-to-rim, rim-to-rim-to-rim, rim-to-river-to-rim, and/or extended day hikes in the inner canyon must obtain a Special Use Permit. The inner canyon is defined as the area below the Tonto Platform from the South Rim and below Manzanita Resthouse from the North Rim. Groups may not break into smaller groups on different permits to accommodate group size. Commercial Rim-to-River-to-Rim Day Hiking is Prohibited: Commercial companies and paid guides are prohibited from conducting or sponsoring Rim-to-River-to-Rim day hikes. Commercial day hikes will not be advertised as endurance events. 36 CFR § 1.5 (a)(2)

Extended Day-Hike Permit Requirement:

  • Organized Non-Commercial Groups - defined as any group traveling together, such as scouts, a club, a church, a meet up group, or a family/friend group that has created its own itinerary. Group size is between 12-30 people. 11 people or less do not require a permit.
  • Not-for-Profit Groups - defined as a group that may meet the criteria for a non-commercial group if the organization derives no taxable income from providing leisure/recreational services. Groups must prove 501(c)(3) status. Group size is between 12-30 people. 11 people or less do not require a permit.
  • Fundraiser Groups - defined as any group seeking or raising financial support for a charity, institution, or other enterprise. Group size is limited to 30 people. A permit is required for all Fundraiser Groups, regardless of group size.

What will be required with the SUP?"

  • An application fee of $250
  • It is recommended the group provides a certificate of insurance for general liability in the amount of $300,000 with the United States Government listed as additionally insured.
  • Group size is limited to 30 individuals, including all organizers and trip leaders.
  • The permittee and its organization (club, non-profit, group, etc.) is allowed to obtain one permit per day. If your group is doing a back-to-back extended day hike with a night spent on the rim, you must apply for an SUP for each day.
  • All groups will maintain a ratio of no less than 1 trip leader with certification in Basic First Aid and CPR for 1-7 participants or 2 trip leaders with certification in Basic First Aid and CPR for groups up to 15 participants, and 3 trip leaders with certification in Basic First Aid and CPR for groups up to 30 participants. Proof of certification is required with application.
  • All non-profits applying to operate under an SUP must provide proof that the Internal Revenue Service currently recognizes the applicant as an organization to which contributions are tax deductible under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
  • Any individual who has been compensated, including subsidized participation, must prove 501(c)(3) status.
  • Non-profits are prohibited from making taxable income under an SUP.

Additional conditions and further details of these requirements will be outlined in the SUP.

Application Form ___ Fees



Grand Canyon National Park's inspiring viewpoints and natural settings are ideally suited for small, simple and quiet weddings. All ceremonies, regardless of size, require an approved Special Use Permit issued by the National Park Service. Weddings may be scheduled up to 1 year in advance. We do not allow many things traditional weddings usually request: chairs, tables, flowers, amplified sound, balloons, signs, etc. at any location. Special Use Permits only allow the use of the permitted area. The permit does not provide for, or include, any services or amenities.

Please review the Wedding Information Brochure for a list of ceremony sites in the park and indicate your first and second choice location on the application.

To check if your desired location and date is available, please contact our office via email.

Please note that Cape Royal Amphitheater and Point Imperial Viewpoint on the North Rim and Shoshone Point on the South Rim are only available May 15 to October 15 due to road closures and lack of facilities during the winter months.

Instructions for how to pay the nonrefundable application fee will be emailed to you after we confirm receipt of application. By law, we must recover costs associated with managing these permits and sites through these fees.
Application form
Wedding Information Brochure (172 kb PDF File)

For information on lodging, catering or reception availability please contact hotels and facilities directly. You can find information about lodging in the area at: https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/lodging.htm


Shoshone Point

Beginning on January 1, 2022, Shoshone Point can only be reserved for a maximum 6-hour block of time between dawn and dusk.

The National Park Service offers a site on the South Rim of Grand Canyon for reservation by groups wishing to host a wedding, celebrate a birthday, conduct a memorial service, hold a family reunion, or any similar non-commercial event. The season is May 15 - October 15. No more than 5 vehicles may park out at Shoshone at any one time. Commercially marked vehicles are not allowed. Vehicles over 22 feet are not allowed.

An unimproved dirt road leads to this isolated area with spectacular views of Grand Canyon. The site features a covered pavilion, picnic tables, grills, trash cans and a vault toilet. There is no water or electricity at the site.

Shoshone Point is the place for people who can be flexible with their planning and can deal with unpredictable Grand Canyon weather.

To check if your desired location and date is available, please contact our office via email.

Shoshone Point Information Brochure (163 kb PDF file) Application form -- Fees


Shrine of Ages

Located just west of Park Headquarters, the Shrine of the Ages is an National Park Service facility that is used for a variety of events. The Shrine features an auditorium with seating for 250 and a smaller, multipurpose room which seats up to 60 people. Food and alcohol are not permitted within the building.

If you are interested in reserving the Shrine, please contact our office via email to check on availability prior to submitting an application. Application form -- Fees

To check if your desired location and date is available, please contact our office via email .


First Amendment Activities

Freedom of speech, press, religion, and assembly are constitutional rights. However, the courts have recognized that activities associated with the exercise of these rights may be reasonably regulated to protect park resources. The necessity of a permit to conduct First Amendment activities is partially determined by the group size. 36CFR 2.51 and 2.52

A small group is defined as “25 people or less.” A “small group” is not required to obtain a First Amendment Permit if they are located within a park designated First Amendment site and have no more than leaflets, booklets and/or hand held signs. A permit is required for any small group that:

  • wants to hold a demonstration or distribute and/or sell printed matter outside a designated First Amendment area.
  • wants to use equipment (i.e. tables, banners, platforms, etc.) even if it is within a designated area.
  • is merely an extension of another group already availing itself of the 25 person maximum.
  • wants to guarantee they will have priority for the use of a location, including the designated First Amendment areas.

A large group is defined as “more than 25 people” and is required to obtain a First Amendment Permit even if they are utilizing a park designated First Amendment site.

Some examples of special events that fall under First Amendment Rules:

  • distribution and/or sale of printed matter
  • religious services
  • public demonstrations or assemblies, etc.

There are no permit fees associated with First Amendment permits. Please contact Commercial Services at e-mail us for more information about Designated First Amendment sites or the application process. Application form

At this time, the Ceremony Sites Calendar is not available. To check if your desired location and date is available, please e-mail us.


The Application Process

Special Use Permit Application (67kb PDF file)

Please email your application to grca_permits_mail@nps.gov or send completed and signed application to:

Grand Canyon National Park
Commercial Services Division
3 Camper Services
PO Box 129
Grand Canyon, AZ 86023

Email is the preferred method of submitting applications. After favorable review of your application, a Special Use Permit will be prepared and e-mailed to you for your signature. Upon receipt, you will need to review, sign and return the permit to our office for final approval. After the permit is approved we will email you an authorized copy. The approved permit must be in your possession at the time of your wedding or event.

We require a minimum of 4 weeks to fully process a basic permit request. Do not wait until the last minute to apply for your permit. No requests are expedited; no exceptions. Complex special events may require more than 4 weeks to process.


Special Use Permit Fees

Permit Fees non-refundable and are based on an annual cost recovery analysis conducted by Commercial Services. These fees include the cost of permit processing, administration and the basic monitoring of events. Larger events or other special uses that require additional management and/or administrative time will incur additional fees at $65.00 per hour.

Do not include payment information on your application submission. Our office will email you detailed online payment instructions after we confirm receipt of your application.


Permit Type

Application Fee

Special Event


Extended Day Hiking (R2R)


Wedding Permit (non-Shoshone Point)


Shoshone Point


Shrine of the Ages



Additional Information

For more information about Special Use Permits; contact Commercial Services via e-mail or phone at 928-638-7707 anytime and leave a detailed message with your specific question(s).

Frustrated person sitting in front of their computer screen.
PDF Form Display or Printing Issues?
Using a web browser to view and print our PDF forms and publications? You may experience issues where the PDF does not display or print correctly. Some web browsers do not automatically open PDFs using the Acrobat Reader application.

Things to try (1) Select the Acrobat Reader plug-in for your browser's default application for viewing/ printing PDFs. or (2) You can right click and save the PDF document to your desktop and then open it with the Adobe Reader application, and print from there. Get the newest version of free Adobe Reader.

Last updated: January 4, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 129
Grand Canyon , AZ 86023



Contact Us

Stay Connected