TFE test page

Who needs a Temporary Food Event permit?
Any person (or organization) intending to sell, give away, or sample food to the public of 50 of more people from a fixed or temporary location for a period of time not to exceed 14 consecutive days in conjunction with a community event on National Park property requires a temporary food event (TFE) permit. (ie: street fairs and festivals, musical and artistic presentations, holiday and ethnic celebrations, trade shows, mobile food trucks, mobile food tents and product introductions at which food is sold, sampled, or given away to the public)

Private functions such as weddings, club membership events, or similar functions not open to the public do not require a TFE permit. These types of events however may need a different type of permit. For more information about what permits are needed at the park, visit the Special Park Use Permit page.

What is the Temporary Food Event permit process?
In order to obtain a TFE Permit from the Golden Gate NRA for a temporary food event, a person or organization coordinating an event must first get a Special Use Permit from GGNRA's Office of Special Park Uses (OSPU) or sign a contract with Fort Mason Center (FMC).

After acquiring a OSPU or FMC permit, the event organizer shall submit all complete TFE applications to their GGNRA contact including all organizer and vendor information, event site map, complete vendor list, and appropriate fees at least 14 calendar days prior to the event. Information must be submitted at least 30 days or more if there are more than 20 vendors at the TFE.

Whoever contracted you to host an event (FMC, OSPU, or Park Partner) will inform the Public Health Officer (PHO) about event food service to the public. At that point you as the event organizer should fill out the organizer application and distribute vendor applications to all of your vendors.

Fort Mason Center TFEs
  • FMC Organization Application
  • FMC Vendor Application
  • Contact: Rachel Brunn
Office of Special Park Uses TFEs
  • OSPU Organization Application
  • Different vendor applications depending on risk level of operation. (see below)
  • Contact: LT Tara Carolfi
Park Partners TFE
  • Park Partners Organization Application
  • Different vendor applications depending on risk level of operation. (see below)
  • Contact: LT Tara Carolfi

Vendor applications for OSPU and Park Partners
You should contact all your food vendors and ask they fill out and return to you one of the following completed applications. To determine what level of risk each vendor is considered you may reference this document: TFE Permit Types.

High Risk Vendor Application
Moderate Risk Vendor Application


Once all the vendor applications and organizer applications are completed, they should be submitted in one packet to the Public Health Officer for review.

After the Public Health Officer has reviewed the applications, event organizers and food vendors will be notified if they have been approved or dismissed to participate in the event. Temporary Food Event Permits are granted at the event after vendors successfully pass food safety inspection. Here are some food safety resources to help prepare vendors for inspection:

Sampling Guidelines
Food Vendor Checklist
FDA Food Code Requirements

Permits are generally valid for the duration of the event only. Therefore subsequent events require another application and inspection.


Contact Info

Rachel Brunn

email Rachel Brunn
(415) 345-7535

LT Tara Carolfi

email LT Tara Carolfi
(415) 561-4743

Last updated: August 2, 2012

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Golden Gate National Recreation Area
Building 201, Fort Mason

San Francisco, CA 94123-0022


(415) 561-4700
Pacific West Region Information Center (415) 561-4700 Special Event & Commercial Film Permits (415) 561-4300

Contact Us