5. Construct Kelp Model
Now, coordinate student groups in the construction of a full scale model of a Giant or Bull Kelp, and a similar sized tree found in their community. If possible, the models should extend from the floor to the ceiling of the classroom. They will need:
- green and brown construction paper to make leaves or fronds
- sticky notes or index cards for labels
- magic markers to add detail and write labels
- a large rock to attach the kelp's holdfast
- a long piece of rope to be a stipe
- long pole or bamboo to be a tree trunk
- 1 helium-filled balloon to be the bladder
Have students label the important morphologic structures for the tree (roots, trunk, branches, leaves, etc.), and kelp (holdfast, stipe, air bladders, blades or fronds, etc.).
6. Answer Question
Ask volunteers to use the models to answer the question, Plant or Protist?