A variety of rules and regulations help us protect park resources and provide visitors with a safe and enjoyable experience. The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) and the Superintendent's Compendium provide a complete listing of park rules and regulations.
36 CFR parts 1-199 pertains to all National Park areas.
- 36 CFR part 13 pertains to all Alaska National Park areas.
- 36 CFR section 13, subpart M pertains to Special Regulations of Gates of the Arctic National Park & Preserve.
The Superintendent's Compendium is reviewed annually and provides a list of regulations under the discretionary authority of the superintendent.
Other regulations may also apply:
- Food Storage Requirements
- Protecting Historic Sites and Artifacts
- Marijuana and Other Controlled Substances
Possession or use inside a National Park Service unit (parks, preserves, rivers and monuments) is prohibited. While Alaska provides for regulated possession and use of marijuana, it remains an illegal drug under federal law and enforced within the park units.