Fort Moultrie Dock Dredging

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: November 5, 2012
Contact: Bill Martin, (843) 883-3123 x 11

Fort Sumter National Monument will start work on Monday, November 5 on maintenance dredging operations at the Fort Moultrie dock and approach leading to the Intracoastal Waterway. Approximately 17,000 cubic yards is expected to be dredged. The work should take approximately three to four weeks to complete.

Maintenance dredging of this area is needed approximately every five to seven years to maintain a safe depth for the boats that provide transportation for staff and equipment to and from Fort Sumter. The Charleston District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will provide construction management services for this project.

Located on Sullivan's Island, there have been three forts on this site since 1776. The first Fort Moultrie, built of palmetto logs and sand, is the location of the first major Patriot victory of the American Revolution on June 28, 1776. Abandoned after the war, this fort was replaced by a second Fort Moultrie in 1798, which was then destroyed by an 1804 hurricane. The current Fort Moultrie was completed in 1809 and was not closed by the US Army until 1947. Fort Moultrie is a unit of Fort Sumter National Monument and is located at 1214 Middle Street, Sullivan's Island, South Carolina. The fort and visitor center are open daily from 9:00-5:00 except for New Year's, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day. For more information, call (843)883-3123.

Last updated: April 14, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

1214 Middle Street
Sullivan's Island, SC 29482


(843) 883-3123

Contact Us