Permits & Reservations

The following activities or events that require scheduling or a reservation.

Group Guided Tours - Guided tours for groups are available by advance arrangement. We ask for at least three weeks notice when requesting a group guided tour. Call 620-223-0310 to request a tour.

Distance Learning - In addition to traditional in-park programs, Fort Scott NHS has distance learning opportunities. For more information, visit our Distance Learning page or contact the park by e-mail or call 620-223-0310.

Education Programs - For a list of curriculum and lesson plans, visit our For Teachers page. For additional questions or to schedule a program, contact the park by e-mail or call 620-223-0310.

Spring Education Program Events - In addition to our regular educational programing, we offer two special in park school programs in April and May: Life on the Frontier (K-4) and Sweep Through History (5-8). These programs are offered on specific days and reservations are required. For more information on educational programs, visit our For Teachers page.

Candlelight Tour- Each December we have an event where the entire fort is lit by candle lanterns. The site comes to life with about 100 reenactors who involve you in telling stories of the site's history at various points throughout the park. A tour guide leads you through the event. The event is held the first Friday and Saturday evening in December. Tickets go on sale November 1st. Call 620-223-0310.


Special Park Uses and Commercial Filming:

Often individuals, organizations, and businesses consider national parks appealing settings to hold events, express opinions, shoot commercials or major motion pictures, or photograph models for catalogs or kids for their school pictures. Couples choose national parks as beautiful wedding venues. Families gather to share meals and celebrate the generations. At times, the National Park Service requires permits for activities like these to make sure these activities do not cause unacceptable impacts to a park's natural and cultural resources or unduly interfere with park visitors' access and enjoyment.

A Special Park Use Permit (SUP) can by used by park management to authorize the use of park-managed lands and waters for a variety of activities and uses. With the exception of the sale of printed material (36 CFR 2.52), SUPs are not used to authorize commercial activities. Commercial activities require a commercial use authorization, concession contract, or lease.

Please call park headquarters at 620-223-0310 with questions, information and additional guidelines.

Other activities that require special use permits include:

Changes to Commercial Filming Permits on Park Land

On January 22, 2021, the US District Court for the District of Columbia issued a decision in Price v. Barr determining the permit and fee requirements applying to commercial filming under 54 USC 100905, 43 CFR Part 5, and 36 CFR Part 5 are unconstitutional. The National Park Service is currently determining how this decision will be implemented.

Following the recent court decision, the National Park Service will not be implementing or enforcing the commercial filming portions of 43 CFR Part 5 until further notice, including accepting applications, issuing permits, enforcing the terms and conditions of permits, issuing citations related to permits, or collecting cost recovery and location fees for commercial filming activities.

As regulations regarding commercial filming permits are being reassessed, those interested in commercial filming activities on land managed by the National Park Service are encouraged to contact the park directly for more information about filming in the park and to discuss how to minimize potential impacts to visitors and sensitive park resources. Contact Fort Scott National Historic Site by e-mail or call 620-223-0310.

Last updated: January 7, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 918
Fort Scott , KS 66701


620 223-0310

Contact Us

Stay Connected