Issues and Concerns Identified by the Public
- Lodging: With only two exceptions, everyone would like lodging back at Flamingo.
- Expanded Services: Commenters asked for more educational opportunities, particularly guided tours. Also requested were more rentals, particularly houseboats and bicycles.
- Mosquitoes: there were many reminders that Flamingo can be ‘buggy’ and there were many requests that outdoor facilities be screened in (amphitheatre, grills, swimming pool).
- Air conditioning: some commenters worried that sustainable design would not include air conditioning Showers: there were many requests for hot showers throughout Flamingo.
- Swimming Pool: most were in favor of a swimming pool, several commenters were concerned with putting a swimming pool in a flood plain.
- Food: suggestions were extremely varied, from limited groceries at the marina store to a five star restaurant, but most comments suggested basic food, nothing fancy.
- Sustainability: almost all the comments supported using sustainable design to rebuild Flamingo, particularly alternative energy and raising structures above the storm surge.
If you would like to read a condensed version of the public comments, please go to www.parkplanning.nps.gov underEverglades- Flamingo CSP/EA – Documents – Public Comments Condensed.